Monday 9 May 2016

Podcasts

In a recent job interview I spoke almost exclusively about podcasts. The interview was not for a job that had anything to do with podcasts. And strangely enough, they did offer me the job.

It seems the podcast is having a real moment. Actually, this moment has lasted a fair while. In an age where virtual reality games are being developed and there's the option to watch films and TV on the go, we still go back to audible stories - it's one of the oldest mediums and, I think, one of the best. Plus, you can listen to them whilst doing whatever it is you're needing to get on with. Bored on a treadmill? There's a podcast for that....Unrelenting commute? Why not listen to this....Too easily distracted by TV but hate silence? Stick this on in the background...

Plus, they're free. At least all of the podcasts featured in this post are, so there'll be no complaints from me.
First up, we have something that I'm borderline obsessed with. Stuff You Should Know podcast is really, really good. It's interesting, the hosts are friendly and relaxed, it's structured enough to actually be informative (go on, ask me anything about nuclear winters or sarcopenia, I've got that locked down) but not too formal, so you don't feel like it's a lecture. It's really just a chat about stuff you should know. Seriously, I have a lot of love for this podcast. Bonus: there's such a huge back catalogue you can listen to them all the time and not have to wait for the next episode. Although I am rapidly making my way through so should maybe slow down....


Well known in podcast land, it's Dear Sugar Radio, and it's a classic. Responding to listeners letters, this agony-aunt style podcast is helpful, calming, and super interesting. I love that the hosts (Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond) incorporate their own experiences when giving advice and aren't afraid to say what they really think - even if that's an initial judgemental reaction or an unpopular opinion. Plus, their voices are just so soothing.


This was a recommendation from the person who interviewed me, and I'm glad they recommended it. It shows that everyone has a story. Featuring true stories, retold by those who experienced them - such a simple premise but it works so well. A great one for variety, there's bound to be several stories that will have you thinking about them for days, and it feels really personal - which I love. 


Just the one series? Seriously? Well okay, I guess I'll make do with re-listening to the five episodes until I can mouth along to them (and honestly, I'm not that far off.) This is just so good. I love Lena anyway, and I love the people she features (there's a great interview with her mum, Zadie Smith pops in for a chat, and so many other inspirational women). The episodes cover topics - love & sex, friendship, the big picture - and lengthy chats are followed by sketches, quick fire interviews, or monologues. It's like this podcast knows me, which is probably a very weird thing to write, but you know when you think 'oh my god I think about that all the time I had no idea other people did too' - yeah, that'll happen a lot with this one. Now just to wait for the next series....(please).


I read the book. I loved the book. I downloaded the podcast. Similar to dear sugar, Elizabeth Gilbert responds to listeners creative fears or problems and then gets a friend to offer their opinion as well. If you don't like metaphors, magic, and phrases like 'creative bonding with another soul' then steer clear, but if you do then this is right up your street. It's cathartic to know people struggle creatively in the same way you do, and it's nice to hear reassurance. One thing I really love about this is how fun Elizabeth makes creative pursuits - she has a wonderful 'just do it, maybe it's rubbish, maybe it will never make you a living, maybe it's pointless, but just do it...be creative' kind of attitude that I'm definitely trying to channel. 


There you go, five recommendations to get you started - lovely series' filled with lovely people and highly useful when blocking out the sounds and annoyances of an 8:15 London commute. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Apple Cupboard. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig